Festival of Learning 2018
Organised by Dr David Webster, the university’s Head of Learning and Teaching Innovation, the 2018 University of Gloucestershire Festival of Learning was held on 13 June 2018 at Park Campus.
Feeding Backwards and Forwards: Closing the Loop on Student Assessment
The 2018 event looked at the theme of Feedback, and we hoped to encourage contributions that interrogate the notion in a range of ways. In making reference to ‘closing the loop’, we encouraged presenters and participants to think about the gap between feedback we provide/receive, and the actions it then leads to. Are we using student feedback on our inputs to the learning process, to change what we deliver? How can we be sure our assessment feedback is leading students to actively alter their research, planning, writing and more? This one-day event tried to ensure that responses to feedback are transformative, effective and worthy of the time people devote to these processes.
Running throughout the whole day, sessions include:
- Keynote Lecture – “Moving feedback forwards in Higher Education” Naomi Winstone, University of Surrey
- Lightning Presentations – Designed to stimulate debate, discussion and dialogue based around this year’s theme.
- Interactive poster exhibition
- Paper presentations
- Final of The Three Minute Thesis competition – The 3MT challenges doctoral candidates to present a compelling spoken presentation on their research topic and its significance in just three minutes to a non-specialist audience. Finalists will be announced after the School Heats on 9 April.
- Closing plenary debate/discussion
View the programme for the 2018 Festival of Learning:
See what people said about this year’s event – #GlosLearn18