Be our next Live Smart Co-ordinator
6th August 2020
Fancy a part-time job?
We’ve got an incredible CV-boosting opportunity where you can earn some money, whist making a difference for sustainability at UoG and in the wider community.
The University Sustainability Team is looking for a student to work with them to lead on the Live Smart programme from October 2020 to May 2021.
The role will involve working with another student post as well as teams across the University to engage a wide range of students in Live Smart’s key activities including the Live Smart challenge and events.
Hours: 12 hours a week October – June. 28 paid weeks total. Preferred working pattern 2 x 6 hour days during the week, with some flexibility to allow for occasional evening/weekend events and study patterns.
Pay: £10.02 per hour
Line Manager: Sustainability Engagement Manager
Closing date: 5pm Monday 21st September
Interviews: Wednesday 30th September (Microsoft Teams)
Anticipated start date: w/c October 5th
Base: Remote working with occasional visits to campus and surrounding areas, subject to University and Government Covid-19 guidelines*
The University of Gloucestershire has an international profile for its work in sustainability. We have won numerous awards to celebrate this work – most recently achieving top of the UK university sustainability league (People and Planet 2019).
The Sustainability Team work to integrate sustainability into the curriculum, campus operations and experience of life at the University; maintaining our reputation as leaders of sustainability in Higher Education.
Live Smart is UoG’s student-led engagement programme which aims to inspire and support students to live in smarter ways that have a positive impact on their wellbeing, finances, local community, and the sustainability of the wider planet.
Find out more:
- Visit our website: sustainability.glos.ac.uk
- Read our Live Smart blog: uniofglos.blog/livesmart
- Follow us on social media: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
The Live Smart Co-ordinator will be responsible for engaging a wide range of students in Live Smart’s key activities including the Live Smart challenge and events.
Working as part of the Sustainability Team, and supported by the Sustainability Engagement Manager, the role will work with another student post, and also liaise with teams across the university, including Student Services, Communications and Marketing, and the Students Union.
Find out more:
- Read our blog on what last year’s co-ordinator got up to here.
Duties and responsibilities
- Co-ordinate delivery of the Live Smart community challenge working with students, staff and external partners
- Develop and deliver initiatives that engage students with outdoor activities aligned to Live Smart’s Key themes – e.g. events in our community gardens and growing spaces
- Work with the SU to align Live Smart theme activities with the aims of the SU and Residential Life programmes
- Support the recruitment and co-ordinate the activities of student volunteers, to shape and support Live Smart activities
- Work with the Sustainability Communications Officer to co-ordinate Live Smart communications, including live social media content
We are looking for:
- Team players, able to work effectively with other students and members of staff
- Confident verbal communicators able to appear on camera e.g. for Instagram story
- An ability to motivate other students to engage in Live Smart’s activities
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A basic understanding of what’s involved in planning, delivering and evaluating an event
- Motivated and organised individuals, with initiative to prioritise workloads and meet deadlines
- A capability to operate independently on some remote-working activities
- Commitment to sustainability and the aims of the Live Smart programme
It is an additional benefit if you have:
- A basic knowledge of sustainability issues and the global sustainable development agenda
- A creative and innovate mind, able to use initiative to solve problems
- Experience of working with students/volunteers
- Previous experience of organising events
Email us with the answer to these questions on max 1 side of A4:
- Why do you want the role of Live Smart Co-ordinator?
- How does your experience meet the person specification?
- Your course and year of study
Miriam Webb – Sustainability Engagement Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email Miriam: email@example.com
*In line with the University’s COVID-19 response, the expectation is that this role will not be based at the Sustainability Team offices at Park campus but the work will mainly be done remotely and using Microsoft Teams to stay in touch. Face to face meetings may be arranged with the line manager and/or other team members but following the University’s protocols and UK government guidance on social distancing. The role duties may involve visits to campuses or surrounding areas but activities will always be subject to changes of University and Government guidelines.