20 resolutions for a smarter 2021!
1st January 2021
It’s a new year! So, if there’s ever a time to create some positive change in your life, now is surely it!
We all know New Year’s resolutions can be difficult to stick by and this is often because we set ourselves unrealistic goals (throwback to that 2 hour workout we all thought we’d do every day for last year’s NY resolution!).
So, for your resolution this year we’d like you to join us in trying one (or all!) of our Live Smart resolutions to help you save money, boost your wellbeing, benefit your community, and improve the planet this year.
We promise to keep them simple and affordable!
Power of the purse
Reduce food waste
2. Know your food labels – ‘Best Before’ is not the same as ‘Use by.’ Find out more here.
Spend less, save more!
3. “Do I really need this?” – ask yourself before buying anything – the key is to only buy things you really need and buy things that will last.
Use less energy
5. Invest in a clothes horse and avoid using the tumble dryer – your clothes will thank you!
6. Use your microwave, it’s quicker and uses less energy that your oven. Try these recipes for inspiration!
Spend responsibly for positive impact
7. Switch to Fairtrade – coffee, bananas, wine…. there’s plenty of options! It won’t cost you much more, and can change farmers’ lives.
8. Switch your bank (easier than you think….) – 33 of the world’s biggest banks have funneled $1.9 trillion (£1.5 trillion) into fossil fuels in the past three years alone. Are your investments funding fossil fuels? Find out how to bank ethically here.
Improve your community
Support the local economy
9. Buy from local, independent shops where possible instead of big-name chains
10. Donate unwanted items to charity shops – you can use the big red British Heart Foundation bins on campus.
Volunteer your time
11. Take part in the Live Smart challenge and work with a local community partner to do something good for the global goals and be in with the chance of winning prizes.
12. Consider a Future Plan internship in sustainability – search ‘sustainability’ on the future plan portal or email us: email@example.com.
Use your voice
13. Join a student society and make a difference – try LGBT+, Green Team or the Refugee Society.
14. Stand up against stereotypes – speak up if you hear something that doesn’t sound right or report it.
Boost your wellbeing
Improve your diet
15. Become a part time carnivore – eat meat less often and instead have more veggie meals!
16. Avoid processed food and incorporate fresh food as much as possible. Use quick recipes like these to have speedy, healthy meals.
Get your body moving
17. Join a sports team – from Bollywood dance and Fencing societies, to football and volleyball teams, there are so many options available to you
18. Look after your body and mind – a walk or run in the park, connecting with nature, is great for your mental and physical health
19. Speak to your GP, they can provide various supports functions, medication or nicotine replacements (eg. Patches) to help you quit
20. Check out these 10 self-help tips by the NHS to quit smoking
Whether you choose to pick just one resolution, a combination or all of them, we hope that you find something you can try! And don’t forget, if you start a new year’s resolution but fall down on it, don’t worry! Just carry on where you left off and give it another go 😀
Nikki and the Live Smart team