2018 Festival of Learning
8th May 2018
Feeding Backwards and Forwards: Closing the Loop on Student Assessment
This year’s event looks at the theme of Feedback, and we hope to encourage contributions that interrogate the notion in a range of ways. In making reference to ‘closing the loop’, we encourage presenters and participants to think about the gap between feedback we provide/receive, and the actions it then leads to. Are we using student feedback on our inputs to the learning process, to change what we deliver? How can we be sure our assessment feedback is leading students to actively alter their research, planning, writing and more? This one-day event will try and ensure that responses to feedback are transformative, effective and worthy of the time people devote to these processes.
Running throughout the whole day, sessions include:
- Keynote Lecture – “Moving feedback forwards in Higher Education” Naomi Winstone, University of Surrey
- Lightening Presentations – Designed to stimulate debate, discussion and dialogue based around this year’s theme.
- Interactive poster exhibition
- Paper presentations
- Final of The Three Minute Thesis competition – The 3MT challenges doctoral candidates to present a compelling spoken presentation on their research topic and its significance in just three minutes to a non-specialist audience. Finalists will be announced after the School Heats on 9 April.
- Closing plenary debate/discussion