Archive Item of the Month – September 2011
27th September 2011
The Cheltenham Training College was opened in 1847 as a Church of England teacher training college. It admitted both male and female students, although these lived and were taught separately from each other until well into the twentieth century. The present day University of Gloucestershire traces its roots back to this institution and further still to the various mechanics institutes established in the county in the 1830s. Today, the University is obliged to continue providing education and religious studies courses, a direct consequence of our collective heritage.